All you Need is Love

All you Need is Love
Mother's Day 2013

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Be Discreet!

Ok, so every mommy has taken the photo where you see the baby bum, right? My daughter went outside when she was 3 or 4 in nothing but a pair of rain boots. You better believe I took a picture of that! But I had her turn her back to me and place her arm across her bum, so she isn't showing anything. When I put it into her album, I made sure to use the photo corners so that we can remove it from her album and put it in a safe place if we need to. In the future, I'm aware that she might be embarrassed of that photo. My mom has a photo of me dancing around in nothing but a pair of sunglasses, which I am wearing on my waist! I was 2. But I was so mortified of that picture, and always kept it hidden away. It wasn't until I had children that I could see how innocent and funny that picture is.

I've been like this from day one with both of my kids. I didn't want their gender showing in photos of their birth! I just don't think it's necessary! Even when I take pictures of my cuties in the bath tub, I always make sure I cover their gender. I used a washcloth up until now, but found that a rubber ducky worked well for this picture of my little guy totally relaxing in his bath.

I don't know if many parents take pictures of their kids on the big potty, but for me that was a HUGE milestone in my daughter's life and I couldn't pass up a shot of her going to the bathroom like a big girl! Once again, nothing is showing, but her proud little face has a big smile on it. She knew she was making mommy happy! (It's in her album, but probably has corners.)

There is also the classic photo of baby lying on their belly, sans clothes. I took my infant's photo from the side, and she isn't in focus. All you notice about the picture is her adorable smile!

There are a lot of weirdos out there. Be careful what pictures we take of our kids. Be considerate of their feelings as they age, and think of how they might feel later if someone comes across that picture on your camera.

And to the loving relatives out there who might not think a thing of taking pictures of their nieces, nephews, grandchildren, etc. while they aren't fully dressed. "They're just cute and little!" you might say. Of course you would never want to offend your loved ones, so ask the parent before you click that photo of the children playing in the tub. I personally feel that people should ask me if they want to take a photo of my kids fully clothed! (Not relatives and close friends, but anyone outside of that circle.)

Scrap Happy!

3 comments:

  1. I've always felt exactly the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:09 AM

    Great ideas. I love this photo of him. He looks like his Daddy.
    Where did you put that photo of you in th sunglasses?

    ReplyDelete