All you Need is Love

All you Need is Love
Mother's Day 2013

Sunday, August 26, 2007

New York through my eyes

This past week, we spent 2 days in New York City.
My tip of the day is this: If you see a person using a better camera than you are, ask them to take your family's picture! This is us in Central Park.
This is my daughter with the wall of names on Ellis Island,
holding her nose by the stinky subway,
and my adorable family at the Statue of Liberty.
This photo was taken as we walked to the site where the twin towers once stood.
It's loud in the hot subway station!
The tip of Ellis Island, with NYC in the background.
My daughter, who is 5, got a lot out of touring Ellis Island.
The problem for me was that much of New York is the people! You can't just go around taking shots of people without their permission, unless you are paparazzi! I wanted to capture the man squished in the tiny stand on the streets, selling magazines. I wanted a picture of the homeless man sound asleep on the busy sidewalks, the vendors selling fruits, the taxi drivers hanging out of their windows yelling at the pedestrians, the fish stands of Chinatown with their rotating strings to frighten the flies away. So much of New York for me was the people. Some things could not be captured on film or even with video. You have to be able to smell the burning smell at the WTC site, hear the security guard softly singing as you explain to your 5 year old what happened here 6 years ago.
I appreciated being there. I loved seeing the famous buildings, streets and eating pizza slices folded in half at the first pizzeria in America. Seeing the people, who by the way were very nice and eager to help tourists. It was quite an experience!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:19 PM

    loved your blog entry about capturing NY.

    ReplyDelete