All you Need is Love

All you Need is Love
Mother's Day 2013

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Support the front line!

I'm putting together a care package for my brother, who's in the army. I had so much fun finding things to put in the box, which will probably cost more to mail than it did to buy the goodies! Of course I had a few doubles printed up of my favorite pictures to send him. I don't know where he sticks them, but I'm debating on whether I should put double sided tape on the back of them, or send push pins or what. I might just have to e-mail him to ask. We keep in regular contact, now that I have My Space, and although he doesn't tell me ANYTHING about what's happening over there, it's enough for me just to know he's alive. From the start of his Army career, he had asked me to put together an album for my daughter, depicting his life in the Army. I was able to snag one of the last "glory" albums, which was discontinued. It has an American Flag on the front and is perfect for an American soldier. I included pictures of his experience at Training Camp, graduation, and candid shots that he took around camp with his disposable camera. He will be in there for years, and while he doesn't take a whole lot of photos, I know that we will still be adding to the album from time to time. I look forward to the day when I can put his retirement photos in there to end the album!

Tip of the Day: It's a great idea to send a soldier a disposable camera. It's an even better idea to include one of those mailer envelopes that you can get from the companies that develop film such as Snapfish. I know there are others, but I use Snapfish and know that they have plastic mailers.The way that Snapfish works is that you (the sender) are automaticly charged for the developing(provided you remember to include one of the forms with your address label on it). They would send them to your home. This way your soldier isn't charged any postage at all. If your soldier has e-mail, you can go to the company's website and send him the pictures. This has worked especially well for my brother and I, since I am doing his album. Even if you didn't know the soldier, but are sending him care packages, wouldn't it be nice to write to him, explaining your idea for him to use the camera to document his time there? You could put it in a little album for him once you got them developed. Then send it in his next care package along with a black pen for him to journal his experiences.

Scrap Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment