All you Need is Love

All you Need is Love
Mother's Day 2013

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Please respond!


Because I take so many pictures and do so many albums for my only child, I find myself thinking," What am I doing!?" Is there a point where you must realize that you can't save every moment? Am I taking too many photos? What am I going to do with all of these albums? We will need a U-haul just for her albums when she moves out if I continue to create 2 (or 3 like last year) for each year of her life. She will have 24 albums when she is 12! What do you think? I love to take pictures of her, and I admit, I am trying to keep track of everything. I also love to scrapbook them! But when is it too much? Is she going to think the world revolves around her? When is she going to have the time to look through all of these albums? I'm happy with the one album I have that covers my entire childhood, from birth to graduation! Sure, I don't know when I said my first word, took my first step, or funny things I said as a kid. But is all of that really going to matter? I know that having these albums is bound to give her a sense that she is loved. However, I don't want her to forget anything that didn't make it into the album. Meaning, I don't want her only memories to be the ones in the pictures. I hope that she won't ever be embarrassed that I made so many and wrote down everything. I hope that she will know how priceless she is to me. I realize that eventually, the pictures will slow. She will go off with her friends and I will be lucky to get a shot of her on her birthday and Christmas. I know that this time won't last forever. Maybe that's why I'm holding onto it so tightly!

Please let me know what you think!

Scrap Happy!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:57 AM

    Just catching up on your blog--how fun that you are adding pics now:) I too sometimes think I have way to many pics of the kids. But, like you said, at some point the pictures will slow down. I love capturing every moment that I can. I think it is so sad that some people only have one baby picture of themselves or just a few from their childhood. I say snap away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:33 PM

    Pictures are snatches in time that you will never get back. Cherish them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:29 PM

    * Being a Mom is the most emotional privilege in the world. It's definitely understood and normal that you want to hold so tightly to your precious angel. That she is !!
    * Your daughter already knows she's priceless to you, even if you don't do one more album - or didn't do any. Just ask my kids.
    * YES - this time passes TOO QUICKLY ! I can vouch for that. YES - you want to hold on tightly. I wish I could go back and hold on even tighter.
    * Picture a tiny bird in your hand. You hold her gently & cover her with your fingers. But you don't want to smother her. When it's time for her to see daylight you have to gradually make the fingers ease their grip so she can look around. The hardest part is when you have to totally open your hand knowing she'll fly away. If you don't she'll die. Knowing you chose to let her be herself, she'll flourish. Birds, of course, don't return to the nest. But our kids know the way we "hold our hand" for them. Do we smother or drop them? Do they want to return to the open hand that allowed them to be themselves, even just for a visit to a good relationship?
    * your child's memories will be enjoyed in the albums. Will she have more memories of her albums or of you?
    * How much does it matter to you that you don't know your first word, etc.? How much of your life is negatively impacted because you don't know these wonderful facts about yourself?
    * It's wonderful to chronicle everything possible in one's life; however, has anything in the present that is precious been lost in the process of that chronicalling?
    * Save every moment? Our brains need present and future ides & activities also. Too much past may be too heavy. Live life looking in the rearview mirror?
    * If you're asking when is it too much, is it already?
    * If you're asking is she going to think the world evolves around her, are you seeing signs now?
    * Maybe try one album per year, see how you feel about that. Take that time to do even more stuff with her & your husband. There's so much out there for her to learn. You're a great teacher. The world's the limit. She's very intelligent.
    * All the albums you have made are fantastic. You take beautiful pictures of a very beautiful child. She is very blessed to have you for her Mom!!
    * These albums are wonderful expressions of love from you to her. Maybe this is the best way for you to do that. You're great at it. Maybe this is what you need.
    * My responses range from "yes, too much", to "no, just right". Only you know what's best for you. I hope I gave you helpful, positive "food for thought". I am greatly honored that you asked for opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:37 AM

    I love the other comments.
    How precious.
    You have some good input and food for thought.

    My only comment is that if you give her so many pages and the LORD blesses you with other children, will you be able to give them 2-3 albums a year?
    Will they feel less loved?
    Or will they understand that the "mucho albums" were a season?

    ReplyDelete