All you Need is Love

All you Need is Love
Mother's Day 2013

Friday, November 24, 2006

Gramma's letter

A letter from my gramma had me quietly reflecting today. That is, after I bawled my eyes out. I seldom just burst into tears, although I tear up pretty often. I just love my Gramma so much and she basically was telling me that this was her last letter to me! Not because she is angry with me, but just because she is finding it so hard to write letters now. Since she moved across the country when I was in elementary school, we wrote to each other to keep in touch. We wrote often when I was younger, and after I had my girl 4 years ago, a lot less. Besides by that time, writing had already become difficult for her, due to her hands shaking and her eyes failing. But I just cannot fathom the void I will feel all the way across the states, because I only see her every couple of years now.
After I burst into tears, my daughter came to my side and she was crying, too, even though she didn't know why I was. I tried to tell her that I was just afraid my gramma wouldn't be around for very much longer. She went to get me a tissue, and we cried together for a minute. Later, I was replacing the pictures in the living room frames, putting Christmas photos in them and I came across a page of my gramma's last visit to Pennsylvania. So I showed it to my daughter, who probably doesn't remember Gramma, since she is so young.

The end of the letter was what got me. She wrote for me to save this letter, so that I'll have something to remember her.

My mom, an avid scrapbooker, is currently working on an album of Gramma's life. I'm so glad! I think that my gramma will really enjoy looking at it, and finding herself again in the black and white pictures of that young girl.

Will I save the letter? Absolutley. And I will most likely cry every time I read it. Will I need a letter to remember her? Not at all. She is in my heart. :)

Scrap happy

No comments:

Post a Comment