All you Need is Love

All you Need is Love
Mother's Day 2013

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Save What's Behind You!

I've praised the merits of cropping your photographs in this Blog before. But there is a time and a place for everything! I love looking at the background of old pictures. Is that really what carseats were like when I was a baby? Looking at what's behind your subject can tell you a lot about the time of the year, the occasion, even the decade that it was taken in! So, don't be too quick to crop those old pictures! Even now, when I am cropping current photos, sometimes I leave things from the background in because I want my daughter to be able to look back and see how the carseats looked in her infancy!

Tip of the Day: When I am sorting photos for other people's albums, the backgrounds often help me to determine where or when it was taken more than the people in the photo! If you are doing an album of someone elses, or even your own photos, make sure you search the background for clues. Some things I've found in the background that help me determine when pictures were taken have been a calendar, Christmas decorations, the color of the leaves on the trees through a window, a pack of diapers, balloons, and framed photographs.

Scrap Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment